Helpful safety tips for new homeowners in Columbus
If you recently acquired your first home or you’re getting closer to the date to close, congratulations! It’s a thrilling time for you and your family. You’re probably pondering the many ways you can customize your property with furnishings, paint, and decor. But, before you get too far, be sure you consider home security too. Keeping your loved ones shielded from harm should always be a foremost priority, and we’ll help you do so with the following safety tips for new homeowners in Columbus.
Conduct a safety review of your new Columbus property
Now that you’re thinking about safety, see what your new home has in place. First, make sure you have operational smoke detectors. Try every one and change batteries if required. Are carbon monoxide detectors on site? Do you need a water sensor in your basement? This is also a smart time to update door locks and inspect all locks on windows. Go through every space and get familiar with your property.
Smart security tips for your Columbus home
Once you’ve done your preliminary inspection of safety devices and locking systems, you can consider elevating your property’s safety. Begin with these security tips for your home in Columbus.
- Install a modern home security system. One of the top tools for new homeowners in Columbus is a home security system. The latest in wireless advancements let you keep tabs on your home even when you’re away. You can scan live video feeds, control entry locks, and even speak with guests on your front steps right from your mobile device. You can even personalize your defense with incredible security features like surveillance cameras and monitored fire alarms.
- Update outdoor lighting. Outdoor lights with motion detection are a great approach in deterring prospective invaders. You might even incorporate them with surveillance cameras. The tripping of a motion detector can instruct your outdoor camera to begin recording.
- Take care of your yard. Can you see all of your property from the interior? Are there large trees and bushes impeeding the view? Get rid of possible hiding spots for burglars by keeping your yard well groomed. Your neighbors will be appreciative of it as well.
- Get to know folks in your community. One more thing about your neighbors, get familiar with them. If you are friends with people around you, they’ll be more prone to inform you if they discern anything suspicious. You might also join your community’s social media page if one is established.
- Benefit from home automation. If you go with an advanced smart home, you can make it appear like you’re inside by activating smart light bulbs at predetermined moments. This is a fantastic tool when you’re away.